Sunday, September 18, 2022

Disneyland -- September 18, 2022

A reader sent me a link to an article about how Disney World has "lost its magic." Of course, this is all "fallout" from the current political situation. 

Having lived in Los Angels for four+ years and having visited dozen more times over the years, I've been to Disneyland many, many times. I took the extended family to Disneyland many years ago and stayed at the Disneyland Resort as a high school graduation gift for our younger daughter. 

This is my reply with regard to those who feel Disney World has lost its magic. I've never been to Disney World so I cannot comment on that, but I can comment on Disneyland:

Our younger daughter and her husband plan to take the twins to Disney Land (Los Angeles) when they are eight years old. I will pay for the entire vacation and have already begun budgeting for it. 
 
Planning to go when they are eight means they would go during summer or school breaks when Disneyland is most expensive and most busy.

Disneyland has several parks -- at least three, one of which targets those four years of age to eight years of age. It's actually my second favorite park at Disneyland -- very "un-busy."

I will encourage our daughter to take the twins to Disneyland for their first visit when they are five years old and we can go in the autumn when things are relatively quiet.

For me the best park is the carnival park at night. One can enjoy it without standing in any lines waiting for any rides.

The second best part of the park for me is Main Street. I let everyone else go where they want to go and I head immediately to the coffee shop on Main Street, have an expensive coffee and an expensive croissant and spend about two hours reading The WSJ. Absolutely no one is in the coffee shop when the gates open at 10:00.

A few of the rides have very long wait times, but the vast majority of rides even in the main Disneyland park have relatively short wait times.

For a theme park or a ocean cruise, I honestly don't know of anything that is better than Disneyland. I was never a fan of cruises -- my brother-in-law, wife loves them -- and I no longer care for theme parks in general, but if I have to go, the only one  would go to is Disneyland.

A three-day "hopper" -- allowing one to "hop" from one park to another park whenever one wants -- is the best for a first-time visitor if all visitors are over the age of eight. If the visit is for twins five years of age, I would buy just the ticket to get you into the appropriate parks. I would also stay in the Disney resort itself (very expensive) and pace oneself to enjoy two days of activities over three days. The folks that have the worst experience are those who try to do everything. I would plan on hitting 50% or less of rides / exhibits over three days, and really, really enjoy the ambience.

The shopping by itself is incredible. The shows (bands, music) are all free.

For five year olds, it will be magical. For the rest of us, we've become quite used to all this. But the kids will love it. The important thing is for the parents to pace themselves. Leave the park between 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 and take a nap or go shopping in the "mall."

One last note: the most interesting thing is that the entire southern California experience: San Diego Zoo, Legoland, all the beaches, Hollywood Hills, the Farmers Market; water parks; all the museums -- it really is quite incredible.

You know, it's interesting, if the only thing Sophia got to do at Disneyland today was get her picture taken with "all" the princesses, that's all she would need. She gets all her rides at Six Flags Over Texas -- they have season tickets and go at least once a month. 

The twins will be happy with seeing the "Cars."

I think a lot of folks fail to see Disneyland through the eyes of a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment